Are you looking for help with funeral costs?
There is a new bereavement grant available in Scotland which covers cremation costs and allocates funds for other funeral expenses.
The Scottish Government Funeral Support Payment replaces the old DWP funeral grant. It is now easier to apply for, quicker at releasing funds, with more money available
As we are a not for profit funeral directors, the funeral support payment often covers all our costs and you may be left with money to go towards the costs of your celebration of life. Plus, our team will help you with the application process.
What benefits are available?
The Scottish Government’s new Funeral Support Payment (sometimes called Funeral Expenses Assistance) is for people who are arranging a funeral and are claiming benefits such as Pension Credit, Universal Credit, tax credits, sickness benefits or unemployment benefits.
There is another benefit called Bereavement Support Payment which is normally claimed by recently bereaved spouses below pension age.
Are you Eligible?
An estimated 5,000 people a year will be eligible for the payment. Are you one of them? To receive the payment, you must;
- be living in Scotland
- have had the nearest relationship to the person who has died
- be financially responsible for the funeral
- be on a qualifying benefit or tax credit (e.g. Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance, Universal Credit, Employment and Support Allowance, Pension Credit, Housing Benefit, Child Tax Credit, Disability or severe disability element of Working Tax Credit).
What does the payment cover?
Most people with no savings get around £1300-1500 but it is based on where you live. The benefit is calculated based on:
• average burial or cremation costs in your area
• a flat rate of £1000 payment towards other expenses
• certain transport costs
How can I apply?
The payment is now administered by Social Security Scotland.
You can apply online here or call 0800 182 222
How Caledonia Cremation can help
If you have lost a loved one in Scotland and can’t afford a funeral, we can help you apply for this funeral grant.
We are an award-winning not for profit funeral directors set up to fight funeral poverty in Scotland. We offer direct cremation and our cost is £995 so most times is covered by the support payment
Although we are one of the cheapest cremations in Scotland, we are not a “no-frills” or “budget” cremation”. We use an award-winning crematorium and offer the highest standard of care throughout the process.
- We can help anyone in mainland Scotland
- We wont upsell anything to you
- There are no hidden costs
- If you receive the Funeral Support Payment, it will cover most or all our costs, thus removing the worry of debt at one of the worst times you will face. Our low price allows you more money to go towards the celebration of life
Funeral grants are easy to apply for and we are here to help. But please remember that are only able to do so if you are currently arranging the funeral otherwise it may be too late.
Did you know?
If you work less than 20 hours a week, you still may be eligible to receive the payment!