Caledonia Funeral Aid is looking for compassionate and organised people to join our friendly team in providing practical and emotional support to recently bereaved people across Scotland.
Caledonia Funeral Aid is a social enterprise owned and operated by the Scottish anti-poverty charity Community Renewal Trust Our vision is for a Scotland where everyone can afford a dignified funeral, personal to their needs. We offer free support to members of the public or those who work with bereaved people who have experienced a loss – all with a focus on those facing funeral poverty. We are now looking to extend the team so we can help even more people facing a very difficult time in their lives. Although this may sound like a difficult role to take on, the work is both important and rewarding. Dealing with a bereavement can be an overwhelming and distressing experience, especially when finances are an issue, so the clients we support really do appreciate having us to turn to during these tough times.
The volunteer Funeral and Bereavement guides would carry out the some of the tasks below.
Please note that full training will be provided and we would link you to the task you would feel most comfortable:
- Represent Caledonia Funeral Aid at various events or activities including drop-in sessions, death cafes or workshops. These may be events arranged by us or by other agencies working with disadvantaged people.
- Discuss Caledonia Funeral Aid and the work we do with members of the public, answering questions, and providing information and advice.
- Assisting with the administration, organisation, attendance and booking of events in your local area (e.g. Death cafés)
- Manning our 24-hour phone service, for short periods where you are available, triaging urgent calls related to bereavement, funerals, or poverty
- Helping us to get our message out using publicity materials provided
- Are you able to offer at least a half day per week for some weeks and commit to volunteering for at least a year?
- Are you confident talking to people from all backgrounds who may be struggling to cope with a recent bereavement?
- Are you organised and reliable?
- Are you an empathetic and non-judgemental listener?
- Do you have good IT skills?
- Are you able to attend events in person (reasonable travel expenses will be paid)
If you answered yes to any of the questions, above and you feel you may be suitable to volunteer with us, then please do drop us a line then please do drop us a line and we can have an informal chat about the role – no pressure
If you have any questions at all, then please do feel free to contact Emma or Jan for further details by calling 03000 113311 or email email@example.com