In September 2019, The Scottish Government launched a new funeral benefit for people from low income families – the Funeral Support Payment.
It replaces the UK government’s DWP funeral payment scheme. The Funeral Support Payment aims to make money more widely available and simpler to apply for.
Key Information About the Funeral Support Payment
WHO CAN APPLY FOR THIS BEREAVEMENT PAYMENT? Applicants who are closest to the deceased family member must already be receiving benefits such as universal credit, disability allowance or income support.
WHAT DOES THE PAYMENT COVER? The payment has three elements:
- Burial or cremation costs
- A flat rate payment towards other expenses for example, funeral director fees, coffin, flowers.
- Certain transport costs
HOW CAN I APPLY? Although Social Security Scotland (the department who administers the fund) is not yet able to offer face-to-face appointments for applicants, people can apply by post, on the phone or online. We can help you with this if you give us a call 03000 113 311 or email firstname.lastname@example.org . Alternatively you can visit their website here.
WHAT HAS CHANGED?
- The benefit will cover additional costs as mentioned above.
- More people will benefit. The Scottish Government calculate 40% more people will be eligible to apply.
- The Scottish Government has allocated more money (an additional £2 million) to the fund and will increase benefits in line with inflation.
- The process of applying will be more streamlined and will be paid in 10 working days.
How Caledonia Cremation can help
If you have lost a loved one in Scotland and can’t afford a funeral, we can help you apply for this funeral grant.
As Scotland’s first not-for-profit Funeral Directors, Caledonia Cremation charge a low cost, flat fee of £995 for a Direct Cremation.
Although we are one of the cheapest cremations in Scotland, we are not a “no-frills” or “budget” cremation”. We use an award-winning crematorium and offer the highest standard of care throughout the process.
- We can help anyone in mainland Scotland
- We wont upsell anything to you
- There are no hidden costs
- If you receive the Funeral Expense Assistance fund, it should cover all our costs, thus removing the worry of debt at one of the worst times you will face.
Remember if you don’t qualify for the benefit or you feel you can’t afford a funeral, we can still help so do not hesitate to get in touch.
No one should be worrying about finances at this sad time.